Unmet Housing Needs Strategic Plan
The Unmet Housing Needs Strategic Plan (PDF), approved in September 2021, defines how the county will address the unmet housing needs of households in a systematic and comprehensive way with integrated programs. The plan recognizes that:
- There is no one-size-fits-all solution to the housing issue.
- It will take multiple approaches applied in combination to address the issue of housing affordability.
- There is no one type of housing need.
The plan was developed through a strategic planning process as a key implementation step of the Loudoun County 2019 Comprehensive Plan.
Loudoun County's overarching housing goal is to ensure that county residents can access housing that they can afford. Affordable housing:
- Sustains families
- Enables economic security
- Can accommodate aging residents
- Provides commuting and traffic advantages
- Promotes an inclusive and equitable community.
The Unmet Housing Needs Strategic Plan has five objectives to help achieve Loudoun County's overarching housing goal to ensure that county residents can access housing that they can afford:
- Establish a coordinated, collaborative and integrated housing network.
- Secure land resources needed to address unmet housing needs.
- Obtain viable funding sources.
- Provide incentives, establish priorities and increase access to affordable housing.
- Implement policy changes to support affordable housing production and preservation.
These five objectives and their associated actions provide a comprehensive approach, based on research, best practice and Loudoun County's specific housing needs and housing market, to start addressing the affordability gaps that exist in the county. These strategies also seek to better utilize existing resources, funds, and programs in addition to calling for new policies and funding.
Quarterly Report on Plan Implementation
The Board of Supervisors' Transportation and Land Use Committee receives quarterly updates on the status of the Unmet Housing Needs Strategic Plan.
For More Information
If you have questions about the Unmet Housing Needs Strategic Plan, email the Department of Housing and Community Development or call 703-771-5590.