Evergreen Mills Road / Watson Road Short Term Road Improvements
In coordination with the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT), construction crews will begin roadway improvements beginning this fall on Evergreen Mills Road and Watson Road lasting over the next 12 months. The corridor road safety audits of Evergreen Mills Road and Watson Road identified short-term improvements to improve roadway safety. These safety improvements are proposed at locations that have higher risk for potential crashes and crash "hot spots" that were identified along both corridors included in the safety study. These improvements were presented to the public at a public information meeting and were approved by the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors.
Throughout the next year, construction crews will begin the following improvements:
- Signs and pavement markings.
- Advance warning flashing beacons.
- Traffic signal operations and timing improvements.
- Delineators (above-ground retroreflective devices along the outside roadway edge, to better delineate the edge of travel way).
- Vegetation trimming to improve sight distance.
A road safety audit was conducted in 2017 and 2018 to examine Evergreen Mills Road between Battlefield Parkway and Loudoun County Parkway and Watson Road between Evergreen Mills Road and Route 50 and made recommendations for improvements.
Current Status: December 2021
- Construction will start in fall 2021 during daytime hours. During construction, travelers can anticipate temporary and short-term traffic stoppages, lane closures and flagging operations with little advanced notice. Drivers should use extra caution and plan ahead when traveling through this area and follow all directions from the posted signs and road crews.
- Tree trimming along Evergreen Mills Road and Watson Road is now complete.
- Traffic signal operations/timing modifications are underway and will be completed at end of 2021 at the following locations:
- the intersection of Evergreen Mills Road and Red Hill/Ryan Road.
- the intersection at Arcola Mills Drive and Belmont Ridge Road/Briarfield Lane.
- The installation of advance warning flashing beacons on Evergreen Mills Road is underway, and completion is expected in early 2022. The beacons will be generally located:
- North of the Evergreen SportsPlex.
- North of the intersection of Evergreen Mills Road and Red Hill/Ryan Road.
- On Arcola Mills Drive between Briarfield Lane and Stone Springs Boulevard.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all updates on the Evergreen Mills and Watson Road Safety Audit and Improvements.
- Sign up for updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category.
- The maps depict approximate locations of the different improvements being constructed, and where residents may see construction activity. Opens a New Window.
- Questions on the project can be emailed to county staff or by calling 703-737-8299.
- Email Glen Barbour, Public Affairs and Communications Officer or call 703-771-5086.