What about barns and fences?

The Zoning Ordinance takes into consideration the need for the construction and maintenance of agricultural structures and livestock fencing. The Zoning Administrator has the power to waive the review of structures that are used solely for agricultural purposes. However, non-agricultural fencing (such as pool and yard enclosures and stone walls) requires review prior to construction but may qualify for Administrative Approval. Click here for more information.

Show All Answers

1. What are the benefits of owning land in a county historic district?
2. What restrictions apply to property in a County designated Historic District?
3. What types of projects require HDRC review?
4. How do I get my project approved?
5. Are there any projects in the Districts that do not require HDRC review?
6. What about barns and fences?
7. Does Historic District designation restrict subdivision of my land?
8. My property is within a Town Historic District; do I need HDRC approval for my project?
9. My property is within a National Register District or a Virginia Landmarks Register District; is this the same as a County historic district?
10. Can I create a new historic district or add my property to a district?