If I disagree with the county's assessment of my property, how can the value be changed?

The county assesses personal property on the assumption that it is in fair condition for its age. The vehicle or motorcycle owner can request a review of the assessment if a vehicle or motorcycle is not in average condition as of January 1 of the tax year because of high mileage, extensive un-repaired body damage or serious mechanical defects. This does not include normal wear and tear on tires, seals, battery, gaskets, pumps, hoses, belts, brake system, cooling system, electrical and ignition system, fuel system, exhaust system and front-end parts. Appealing your assessment does not guarantee that it will be reduced.
 If your appeal is for high mileage, please submit an 
appeal form and attach a copy of the latest safety inspection slip, vehicle or motorcycle repair or similar documentation which shows the mileage. You may submit your January 1 mileage online by February 1 each year if you wish to have high mileage considered in the annual assessment process. If this is done, you do not have to submit an official assessment appeal form to our office.
 For extensive un-repaired body damage or serious mechanical defects, please submit an 
appeal form and an itemized estimate from an automobile repair facility on business letterhead detailing the extent of damage and the cost to repair the vehicle. Other acceptable documentation would be a copy of an insurance company estimate describing the condition and cost to repair the damage. It must be clear from the documents provided that the condition existed on January 1 of the tax year.
 All appeals must be received by December 31 of the tax year being appealed. Appeals are reviewed in the order received. Please allow up to 60 days for processing. The tax bill is still required to be paid by the respective due date. If the assessment is later reduced as a result of the appeal, the county will issue a tax refund. The Commissioner recommends that, to avoid a late payment penalty, you pay your bill in full, have the assessment corrected, then receive a refund based on the corrected assessment.

Show All Answers

1. What type of property is taxable?
2. Which vehicles are subject to the Vehicle Personal Property Tax?
3. Is it possible for the assessed value of my vehicle to be higher this year than it was last year?
4. If my vehicle has been subject to a recent factory recall, will the assessment decrease?
5. Does a new car manufacturer’s rebate reduce the original cost basis of a new vehicle for purposes of personal property tax assessment?
6. If I disagree with the county's assessment of my property, how can the value be changed?
7. What is unusually high mileage?
8. How are taxicabs taxed in Loudoun County?
9. How are antique motor vehicles assessed?
10. How are mobile homes assessed?
11. How are Recreational Vehicles, Motor Homes, and Campers assessed?