Loudoun County will begin to phase in the largest update to its transit system in over a decade in concert with the opening of the Metrorail’s Silver Line extension, which includes three new stations in Loudoun County: Dulles International Airport, Loudoun Gateway, and Ashburn. Loudoun’s plan includes 21 new Silver Line bus routes and 156 new bus stops throughout the county. Loudoun’s transit system updates will improve overall service to and from Metrorail stations in Loudoun and Fairfax Counties.
Service Impacts at Launch
Due to a nationwide bus driver shortage, the county will initially provide Silver Line bus services on limited schedules. As a result, some routes will be served by vans instead of the county’s standard transit buses. Initially, the new routes 331, 332, 341, 342, 343, 344, 351, 373, 374, and 375 will be serviced by a Loudoun County Transit van.
In addition, the county’s contractor, Keolis, has indicated a potential for a driver strike beginning November 16. If a strike occurs, the county’s bus services could be further impacted. Any changes to the county’s bus services will be announced as quickly as possible.
Users of the bus service should visit the county’s website for ongoing, up-to-date information regarding the county’s Silver Line bus services throughout this rapidly evolving situation. Regular updates will be posted at loudoun.gov/buschanges. Loudoun County Transit riders are encouraged to sign up for rider alerts at loudoun.gov/rideralerts to stay informed about all changes to county’s bus services.
New Silver Line Bus Routes
Loudoun County Transit and Commuter Services will begin the new Silver Line bus routes, including paratransit service, on Wednesday, November 16, 2022, at 5:00 a.m. The bus routes will take passengers to and from the Ashburn and Loudoun Gateway stations in Loudoun County and to and from the Innovation and Reston Town Center stations in Fairfax County.
Members of the public will notice a new naming and numbering system of the Loudoun County bus routes, which minimizes any confusion with other jurisdictions’ bus route numbering systems. Paratransit bus service that offers ADA-accessible buses is also available within three quarters of a mile of all the new routes.
Listed below are the 21 new Loudoun County bus routes, the Metrorail stations they connect to, and a summary of the route. Expanded bus service routes will be phased in over the next several months.
For additional details about each route, including the location of bus stops, times of routes and maps of routes, visit loudoun.gov/silverlinebusroutes.
Connected to the Ashburn Station – North Bus Bays:
- Routes 331/332 – One Loudoun: Routes include stops at One Loudoun Park and Ride lot.
- Route 341 – Ashburn Village 1: Route includes stops at the Ashburn Village Park and Ride lot.
- Route 342 – Ashburn Village 2: Route includes stops at the Ashburn Village Park and Ride lot.
- Route 343 – Goose Creek Village/Ashburn Farm 1: Route includes stops at Goose Creek Village Park and Ride lot.
- Route 344 – Goose Creek Village/Ashburn Farm 2: Route includes stops at Goose Creek Village Park and Ride lot.
Connected to the Ashburn Station – South Bus Bays:
- Route 351 – Leesburg: Route includes stops at Leesburg II Park and Ride lot at Segra Field.
- Route 371 – Moorefield Parkway/Old Ryan Road: Route includes stops at Mooreview Parkway and Old Ryan Road.
- Route 372 – Westwind Farm: Route includes stops at Westwind Farm and Inova Ashburn HealthPlex.
- Route 373 – Broadlands: Route includes stops in Broadlands.
- Route 374 – Brambleton 1: Routes includes stops in Brambleton, Brambleton Town Center and Creighton Road.
- Route 375 – Brambleton 2: Routes includes stops in Brambleton, Brambleton Town Center and Evergreen Mills Road.
- Route 391 – Purcellville/Harmony: Route includes stops at the Purcellville and Harmony Park and Ride lots.
Connected to the Loudoun Gateway Metro Station:
- Route 333 – Serving Quantum Park/Pacific Boulevard/Loudoun Gateway.
- Route 381 – South Riding: Route includes stops at the East Gate Park and Ride lot.
- Route 382 – Stone Ridge: Route includes stops at the Dulles South Park and Ride lot.
Connected to the Reston Town Center Metro Station:
- Route 312 – Potomac Falls: Route includes stops at the Cascades, Lowes Island, and Our Lady of Hope Park and Ride lots.
Connected to the Innovation Center Metro Station:
- Routes 320/321 – George Washington University: Routes includes stops at Dulles Town Center Park and Ride lot.
- Route 322 – Atlantic Boulevard Connector: Route includes stops at Dulles Town Center Park and Ride lot.
- Route 323 – Sterling: Route includes stops in Sterling Park.
To see all Silver Line bus routes and the new bus stops on a map, view the Loudoun County Transit System Map for Local and Metro Connecting Bus Routes (PDF).
Park and Ride Lot Closures
On November 16, the Broadlands and Loudoun Station Park and Ride lots will close. Carpool and vanpool customers are advised to search loudoun.gov/facilities for a convenient park and ride lot.
Plan Your Trip
To plan your trip regionally by Metrorail, use Metro’s Trip Planner at wmata.com/tripplanner, which includes Metrorail service and bus service to and from Metrorail stations.
To plan your trip by bus and to get real-time information for Loudoun County, download Transit, a mobile app that helps you plan a trip on Loudoun County Transit buses. The app features real-time tracking and information, service alerts and trip planners. For details, visit loudoun.gov/transitapp.
For More Information
Visit loudoun.gov/riderinformation for details about Loudoun County Transit, including commuter, local-fixed route, Metro connection and paratransit bus services; planning a trip; service alerts; and how to ride safely.
Everything commuters need to know about accessing and using Metro from Loudoun County is posted at loudoun.gov/silverline.
# # #
Stay Informed! Sign up to receive news and updates.