As gas prices rise and more commuters return to their workplaces, Loudoun County residents are reminded that Loudoun County Transit is a cost-effective alternative to driving alone to work. Loudoun County Transit offers routes throughout the county and the region and will soon introduce bus routes to the new Silver Line Metrorail stations.
Consider riding transit for the following reasons:
- Higher Gas Prices – With gas prices surging, taking transit can save commuters money. Loudoun County Transit offers bus schedules and reasonable fares for travel around the county and the region.
- Traffic Congestion – No one likes to be stuck in traffic. As more workers are returning to the office, road congestion will increase. Loudoun County Transit offers commuters an alternate option to driving in traffic.
- Loudoun County Buses are Easy to Ride – Loudoun County Transit buses are reliable, clean and equipped for Metro SmarTrip® electronic fare collection, reducing the need for drivers and passengers to handle cash and accelerating passenger boarding time.
- Enjoy Letting Someone Else Drive – Loudoun County Transit can help commuters avoid the stress that comes from daily driving in highly congested areas.
- Public Transportation Reduces Air Pollution – Riding transit and keeping cars off the road lessens carbon dioxide emissions.
Loudoun County Transit App
Loudoun County Transit’s Transit app allows riders to receive notifications, real-time vehicle locations and trip planning directly through a smart phone. In addition, a team of transit specialists is also available to assist riders with trip planning.
Other Commuting Options
Commuters can also take advantage of the Ridematching system that helps individuals match with others who travel to work in a carpool or vanpool and the Guaranteed Ride Home program, which recently increased the number of free emergency rides home from 4 to 6 per year for those who carpool, vanpool or ride transit.
Upcoming Silver Line Service
The Washington Metropolitan Area Transportation Authority is preparing for the opening of the Silver Line Metrorail Service to and from the Dulles Airport, Loudoun Gateway and Ashburn Metro Stations in Loudoun County. The extension of Metrorail will provide reliable transportation and an alternative to vehicular traffic between the Dulles Corridor and Herndon, Reston, Tysons Corner, Arlington and downtown Washington, D.C. The projected start date of Silver Line, Phase 2 service is not yet known.
When Metro service in Loudoun begins, Loudoun County Transit will provide bus routes to and from the Metrorail stations. For more information, visit loudoun.gov/silverline.
The health and well-being of Loudoun County Transit passengers and employees is a priority. As required by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), masks are required on public transportation. The current mask requirement has been extended by the TSA through April 18, 2022. In addition, Loudoun County Transit has made operational changes to reduce the risk of COVID-19 exposure on its buses. Learn more here.
More Information about Loudoun County Transit
Visit loudoun.gov/riderinformation for details about Loudoun County Transit, including commuter, local-fixed route, metro connection and paratransit bus services; planning a trip; service alerts; and how to ride safely.
# # #