The Master Food Volunteer Program helps Extension reach more Virginians with up-to-date, research-based knowledge on food preparation, nutrition, food safety, and physical activity. Applications will open on June 21, 2021, and will close on July 30, 2021. To learn more, read below and view the flyer.
Who Can Become A Volunteer?
Anyone who has an interest in food preparation, nutrition, food safety, or physical activity can apply. Applicants should possess a desire to enhance their skills and knowledge and enjoy working with people. There is no prior educational requirement for those interested in becoming a Master Food Volunteer.
Opportunities for Service:
Volunteers help support Extension’s family and consumer sciences agents through education and outreach efforts. There is something for everyone!
- Health fairs
- Food demonstrations,
- Women, Infants, and Children’s Program (WIC)
- Farmers market displays
- Grocery store displays
- 4-H youth programs
- Judge at fairs
- Newspaper or newsletter articles on healthy eating, physical activity, and food preparation
- In-school and after-school programs
- Assist with education at food distribution sites
- Health ministries in your community
- Cooking classes
- Basic Nutrition
- Meal Planning
- Cooking Techniques
- Food Safety
- Exercise and Healthy Lifestyles
- Working with Diverse Audiences
- Please note: the training is conducted over 8 weeks. Each week, trainees complete course work in their own time and then attend a live zoom meeting each Friday from 10am-12pm. The first meeting is September 10th and the training runs through October 29th.
- Price - $60 which covers training materials
What Is Expected?
- Apply for and complete the mandatory 30-hour
- Master Food Volunteer training course
- To help support program costs and materials, a fee is required to participate in the training.
- Identify volunteer opportunities that suit your skills and interests
- Reciprocate with 30-hours of service within one year of training
- You will need to create an account in the Better Impact system to access the application. Please know you will need to finish the application at one sitting to submit it, so gather reference information before you start. Within the electronic application you will need three references: names, phone numbers and emails.
- Once application is submitted, we will provide a link for you to send to your references so they can fill out the questionnaire electronically.
- Complete an interview
- Pass a background screening. Background screenings protect the integrity of our agency, our volunteers, and our clients. Please see the VCE Volunteer Screening Information Brochure and Volunteer Screening Frequently Asked Questions
Create Account and Apply:
To create a Better Impact account & to access the application, on a computer, click here. To do so on a mobile app, click here.