Loudoun County election officials remind voters that the deadline to register to vote for the March 3, 2020, Democratic presidential primary election is Monday, February 10, 2020. The Republican Party is not holding a primary in Virginia, but will select delegates to its national convention at a state convention.
All registered voters are eligible to vote in the primary election as Virginia does not register by party affiliation. The voter registration deadlines are:
- Online Voter Registration: Monday, February 10, 2020, at 11:59 p.m.
- In-Person Voter Registration: Monday, February 10, 2020, at 5:00 p.m. at the Office of Elections and Voter Registration, 750 Miller Drive SE, Suite C in Leesburg
- By-Mail Voter Registration: The application must be postmarked no later than February 10, 2020.
The final day to cast an absentee ballot in person for the Democratic presidential primary is February 29, 2020. Absentee balloting is taking place at the Loudoun County Office of Elections and Voter Registration, 750 Miller Drive SE, Suite C in Leesburg, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The office will be open Saturday, February 29, 2020, for absentee voting from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Voters do not have to apply in advance to vote absentee in person.
Voters who wish to return a ballot by mail may apply online to have an absentee ballot mailed to them through the Virginia Department of Elections. The deadline to request that a ballot be mailed is Tuesday, February 25, 2020, at 5:00 p.m.
There are a number of reasons that voters choose to vote absentee, including school, work, vacation or illness. Information on eligibility to vote absentee is online at loudoun.gov/absentee.
Loudoun election officials encourage voters to stay informed by:
- Texting LCVOTES to 888777 to receive text alerts from the Loudoun County Office of Elections and Voter Registration.
- Signing up for the Election Update category in Alert Loudoun, the county’s email and text notification system.
- Following the Office of Elections and Voter Registration on Facebook and Twitter. Loudoun County Government also posts general information on Facebook and Twitter.
More information about the upcoming election is online at loudoun.gov/presidentialprimary.
# # #