The participants will divide into two groups. One group will go with the Virginia Cooperative Extension educators, while the other group goes with LCPS School Nutrition Services. The groups will go to each for a session and then flip for the second session.
Virginia Cooperative Extension will present three different lessons that can be taught in the classroom based on
- Watersheds, water quality and pollution
- Soil components and health
- Plant needs and anatomy
LCPS School Nutrition Services will present a comprehensive lesson that can be taught in the classroom and garden based on
- Connecting the harvest to the food system
- Utilizing what’s grown in the garden in creative recipes that can be created by kids
- Encouraging students to try new things while understanding how the food they consume impacts their health
All attendees will be provided a complimentary Farm-to-School resource bag thanks to the Loudoun Pediatric Obesity Coalition.
NOTE: Successfully completing the training course will allow you to register to volunteer in several programs through LCPS and other organizations providing these classes to students. Additional training and/or background checks may be necessary.
Sign up today at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/garden-to-cafeteria-volunteer-training-tickets-73570767145
Please email Stefanie Dove at [email protected] with questions.