Loudoun County, in partnership with local nonprofit organizations, has developed the county’s first, community-wide Human Services Strategic Plan. The plan provides a roadmap for implementing improved, coordinated systems of care that meet the county’s human service needs in areas such as affordable health care, child care and housing as well as funding and advocacy.
The plan, presented at the Board of Supervisors business meeting July 2, 2019, has five major goals.
- Close critical service gaps for vulnerable or underserved members of the Loudoun community;
- Improve health and wellness outcomes by addressing the social determinants of health that challenge the Loudoun community;
- Optimize access for people seeking services by integrating the Loudoun human services system;
- Meet the growing needs of the Loudoun community through the development and coordination of resources and funding practices; and
- Enhance the quality, capacity and delivery of services by strengthening the network of human services providers.
A Human Services Strategic Plan Advisory Committee is being established by the county to develop an implementation strategy for the plan. The committee will include representatives of the Loudoun County government, nonprofits, businesses, consumers and grant makers/funders.
The plan was developed through a wide-ranging, collaborative effort by the Loudoun County government, the Community Foundation for Loudoun and Northern Fauquier Counties and the Loudoun Human Services Network. Representatives of these groups served on the Human Services Strategic Plan Steering Committee, which developed the strategic plan. The effort also included extensive community outreach.
“This was a very unified effort on the part of many organizations and agencies working to improve the delivery of human services for the entire Loudoun community. Everyone involved in this process has kept their focus on the people we serve,” said Assistant County Administrator Valmarie Turner, who oversaw the effort to develop the strategic plan.
The development of a human services strategic plan was one of the key recommendations of the nonprofit needs assessment implementation plan adopted by the Board of Supervisors in December 2017.
The Loudoun County Human Services Strategic Plan is online here.
# # #