Loudoun County, VA- Warm weather has returned to Loudoun County and the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office and the Loudoun County Combined Fire and Rescue System remind parents to be careful when they leave windows open to let in the fresh air and enjoy the warmer temperatures.
In recent years, emergency personnel in #Loudoun have responded to incidents where small children have fallen from multiple stories after leaning against window screens that gave way. Serious incidents such as these are an often-overlooked safety issue for children.
The National Safety Council offers these tips to protect children from window falls:
• Keep windows closed and locked when children are around.
• Only open windows that children cannot access.
• Avoid placing furniture near windows to prevent children from climbing.
• Do not rely on insect screens to prevent a window fall.
• Enforce rules to keep children away from playing near windows or patio doors
Residents are also encouraged to buy small wind-up devices, if you don’t have cordless window coverings, to gather window cords and elevate them out of a child’s reach. These cords can result in injury or even death if a child becomes entangled.
For more safety tips, please visit https://www.nsc.org/…/safety-top…/child-safety/window-safety for information from the National Safety Council website on window safety.