Posted on August 2, 2021 at 3:01 PM by MaryFrances Forcier
- At its June 15, 2021 business meeting, the Board of Supervisors approved an extension of the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite timeline.
- The new schedule extends the project by six to eight months, enabling staff to more fully develop draft materials (including information that explains proposed changes) prior to review by the ZOC and PC.
- The schedule now includes:
- Providing the ROIA to Board of Supervisors for review & adoption (Fall 2021)
- A general public open house (Early 2022)
- Round Three Input: 90-day referral review (Early - Mid 2022)
- Planning Commission review & recommendations (Late 2021 - Mid 2022)
- Board of Supervisors review & adoption (Mid - Late 2022)
- The Zoning Ordinance Committee (ZOC) continues to meet monthly, providing numerous comments on draft zoning text.
- The consultant has completed a code audit that evaluates the County’s approach to zoning, outlines alternatives, and recommends changes to structure, organization, and content.
- The consultant and staff built an online interactive Zoning platform that will allow the public to search the Zoning Ordinance via keyword or GIS map interface, guide users based on their interests and needs, and accept internal and public comments on proposed amendments.
- An early draft of the two major sections of the new ordinance has been drafted; use tables and parking standards. Draft use tables and parking standards are organized by policy area (Urban, Suburban, Transition, Rural) and list the zoning districts where each use is allowed by right, special exception or minor special exception, and the parking requirements for each use. Definitions for each use are also listed in the tables.
- Round Two Public Input has provided the following feedback. To view a summary of input from focus groups by topic and a full list of 275 comments, please see the May 19, 2021, TLUC Item (PDF).
- General support for Code Audit recommendations
- Positive reaction to enCodePlus, the online interactive platform for the county’s Zoning Ordinance(s), which is under development and will be linked from the county’s website.
- Concerns about:
- Development process
- Code administration
- Code structure
- Development standards
- Resource preservation (natural/historic)
- Zoning Districts
- Use regulations
Stay Informed About This Project
- For questions about the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite project, email Planning and Zoning or call 703-777-0246.