Report Child Abuse and Neglect in Loudoun County
- If the situation is an emergency and a child is in immediate danger, call 9-1-1.
- To report child abuse / neglect directly to Loudoun County CPS, call 703-771-KIDS (5437), Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- After hours and on the weekend, call the Virginia State Child Protective Services (CPS) Hotline, 800-552-7096 or call the Sheriff’s Office, 703-777-0445, and ask to have the on-call CPS worker paged.
Role of Child Protective Services
The safety of the children is the paramount responsibility of the Child Protective Services social worker, who intervenes in whatever way is necessary to ensure the child’s safety and to prevent further harm from abuse or neglect. Protecting the child, validating the sexual abuse, and seeing to the safety of other possible victims, such as siblings or friends, are stressful issues that the family must address. The social worker helps plan and provide services to:
- Enhance every family’s ability to provide proper care and nurturance for their children within their own home, community, and culture.
- Preserve and rehabilitate the family.
- Prevent separation of the child from the family whenever possible.
- Provide a stable, permanent alternative placement as quickly as possible for every child who cannot return home.
- Reunify children with families as quickly as possible.