Building & Development
COVID-19 Service Adjustments
(updated April 7, 2020)
The Department of Building and Development lobby is closed.
- All services continue to be provided during normal operating hours, Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- For general permitting or land development questions, checking a permit status or to schedule inspections, customers may contact the department 703-777-0220, email or Loudoun Express Request.
- Most inspections inside occupied residential structures, including leased residential properties, will be completed without entering the structure and by using video-telephony, video or photographs which show that work is code compliant. Learn more about the process.
- Customers may continue to schedule inspections through the Web Automated Inspection Request System (WAIRS).
Permits and Land Development Applications
Email: The Permits Division will accept the following completed permit submissions by email:
- County Typical Residential Deck(s)
- County Typical Finished Basement
- Residential Trade Permits
- Occupancy Permit Sign Off Requests.
Government Center Drop box: Submit other permit applications and land development applications in the Building and Development drop box in the first floor lobby of the Government Center 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- You must complete your application or form before you arrive at the Government Center.
- Get the forms here.
Payment: You can pay for permit and land development application fees in one of three ways:
- Mail check(s) to Department of Building and Development, Second Floor, 1 Harrison St. SE, Leesburg, VA 20175
- Drop check(s) into the first floor lobby permit or land development application drop box at the Government Center. Include the associated permit or land development application number, contact name, phone number and email address.
- Pay by credit card: call 703-777-0220.
Once we receive payment, permitting and land development staff will notify you when the permit and/or plan has been issued or approved and is ready to be picked up.
You can choose from the following options to receive your permit and/or plans:
- We can send it through U.S. Mail.
- You can pick it up in the Permit and Land Development plan area in the Dulles Room on the first floor of the Government Center, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- You can pick it up by appointment
- In some cases, it can be emailed to you.
Department of Building and Development
The Department of Building and Development conducts oversight of all phases of construction within Loudoun County. This includes:
- Review and approval of construction and site plans
- Proper subdivision of land
- Issuing commercial and residential permits
- Inspections during the construction phase
- Final approval of projects for occupancy or use.