Emergency Preparedness in Loudoun County
Loudoun County encourages everyone to make a plan and know what to do during an emergency. This means having an up-to-date contact list for those you may need to reach during a disaster and establishing alternate methods of communication in case traditional means are not available.
Know what types of disasters or emergencies might occur and know what protective measures to take before, during, and after an emergency. Take the COVID-19 pandemic into consideration when making your plans and take steps to protect yourself against the spread of the novel coronavirus.
- Sign up for Alert Loudoun: Get emergency information, news releases, traffic information, and more
- Follow Loudoun County on Facebook and Twitter
- Monitor local weather forecasts from the National Weather Service
- From hurricanes to flooding to winter weather, learn how different types of hazards may affect you and what you can do to prepare.
- More information on being informed from Ready.Gov
Make a Plan
Your family may not be together when a disaster strikes so it is important to plan in advance: how you will get to a safe place; how you will contact one another; how you will get back together; and what you will do in different situations.
- Be Ready: Make a Plan
- How to Make a Family Disaster Plan
- Include Financial Preparedness in Your Emergency Planning
- Planning for Pets in an Emergency: Loudoun County Animal ServicesPlPlam Opens a New Window.
- Plan for locationsns a New Window.
Build a Kit
A disaster supplies kit is simply a collection of basic items your household may need in the event of an emergency.
Try to assemble your kit well in advance of an emergency.
- Volunteer with organizations that support disaster efforts in our community, such as the Loudoun Medical Reserve Corps or the Loudoun County Combined Fire and Rescue System. Loudoun Cares helps connect local organizations with volunteers. The Corporation for National and Community Service is a federal agency that helps more than five million Americans improve the lives of their fellow citizens through service.
- Read the Loudoun County Emergency Operations Plan