Regional Fair Housing Plan
January 2024 Update: Loudoun County and seven other area jurisdictions have finalized a Regional Fair Housing Plan and submitted their portions of the plan to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The collaboration among the members of the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments (COG), marks the first time in 25 years that local jurisdictions have joined together on a similar effort.
Loudoun County is required by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to “affirmatively further fair housing,” which is to ensure that HUD-funded jurisdictions take meaningful actions to overcome patterns of segregation, promote fair housing choice, eliminate disparities in opportunities, and foster inclusive communities free from discrimination.
- Read More about the Regional Fair Housing Plan
Report Fair Housing Violations
If you believe that you have been the victim of housing discrimination:
- Contact the Virginia Fair Housing Office at (888) 551-3247, Virginia Relay 7-1-1 (TDD) or by email.
- File a complaint through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO).
Everyone has the right to equal housing opportunities. Loudoun County is committed to promoting housing choices and fostering inclusive communities free from housing discrimination.
The Fair Housing Act of 1968 protects people from discrimination when they are renting or buying a home, getting a mortgage, seeking housing assistance, or engaged in other housing-related activities. The Act prohibits discrimination in housing based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), familial status, or disability. Visit the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity for more information.
Virginia’s Fair Housing Law makes it illegal to discriminate in residential housing on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, elderliness, familial status, disability, source or funds, sexual orientation, gender identity, or military status. Visit the Virginia Fair Housing Office for more information.
- View the Federal and Virginia Fair Housing Act: An Overview presentation by Legal Services of Northern Virginia
- View the Fair Housing Updates & Protections animated video by the Fairfax County Office of Human Rights and Equity Programs
- View the Fair Housing: Know Your Rights and Responsibilities presentation by the Northern Virginia Association of Realtors
- Get answers to commonly asked questions about fair housing rights by exploring these National Fair Housing Alliance brochures.
- View materials from the April 2022 Loudoun County Fair Housing Month Webinars:
- Fair Housing for People with Disabilities: Presentation
- Overview of the Virginia Residential Landlord and Tenant Act and Eviction Laws in Virginia: Presentation | Slides (PDF)
- Updates on Federal, State, and Local Fair Housing Protections: Presentation (partial) | Slides (PDF)
- Captions for all recordings will be provided by request. Email Email us or call 703-771-5590.
For Landlords, Property Managers, and Realtors
Loudoun County is one of eight participating jurisdictions that are working collaboratively to develop a Regional Housing Equity Plan, also known as the Regional Analysis of Impediments (AI) to Fair Housing Choice. The Regional AI process is being coordinated by the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments (MWCOG). The major components of the metropolitan Washington regional AI will include:
- A robust community participation and comment process that allows for meaningful dialogue for key stakeholders;
- Assessment of past goals and actions;
- Analysis of data and issues that impact fair housing: and
- Establishment of measurable fair housing goals and priorities.
Learn more about the plan and how to get involved in the community participation and comment process by visiting the MWCOG website.