Intersection Improvement Program
Loudoun County’s Intersection Improvement Program (IIP) addresses traffic safety and operational challenges on roadways within the county. It also identifies cost-effective solutions to enhance safety for all motorists, pedestrians and bicyclists.
Some program highlights:
- In 2017, the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors established the IIP as a proactive measure to efficiently initiate and implement roadway intersection improvement projects. Previously, these projects were often initiated on an ad-hoc basis in reaction to traffic safety and operational concerns, and were sometimes delayed until funds became available.
- To enhance responsiveness in addressing safety concerns, the Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructure (DTCI) developed a data-driven plan to identify problematic intersections based on incidents and operations.
- Intersections identified for improvement as part of this program are located along primary or collector roadways in the Countywide Transportation Plan (CTP). CTP roadways are high volume or critical as they allow residents access to schools, public transportation and other areas of interest.
- Intersection improvement projects are initiated and advanced to design and implementation phases in descending priority order within the County’s Capital Improvement Program (CIP).
- Funding for intersection improvement projects began in the second half of 2021.
Each individual intersection improvement project follows the standard process for project initiation and advancement within the County’s CIP. From start to finish, the estimated timeline for the installation of a traffic signal is three years and a roundabout is five years. This timeline includes the design, land acquisition, utility relocation and construction phases of the project. The Intersection Improvement Program projects currently underway are listed in alphabetical order and are as follows:
|Project Description||Type||Current Phase||Fiscal Year Completion*|
|Algonkian Parkway and Hardwood Forest Drive/ Noble Terrace - Algonkian/ Sterling District||New Traffic Signal||Design||2027|
|Ashburn Farm Parkway and Golden Meadow Circle/ Summerwood Circle - Ashburn District||New Traffic Signal||Planning||2029|
|Ashburn Road and Faulkner Parkway - Broad Run District||New Traffic Signal||Design||2027|
|Ashburn Village Boulevard and Shellhorn Road - Broad Run District||Signal Modifications||Planning||2027|
|Atlantic Boulevard and Century Boulevard - Sterling District||Signage and/or Pavement Marking Changes||Design||2026|
|Claiborne Parkway and Dulles Greenway - Ashburn District||New Traffic Signal||Design||2027|
|Claiborne Parkway and Marshfield Drive - Ashburn District||Turn Movement Restrictions||Design||2026|
|East Church Road and Lincoln Avenue/ Belfort Street - Sterling District||Roundabout||Planning||2030|
|Leesburg Pike and Augusta Drive - Algonkian/ Sterling District||Continuous Green-T||Design||2028|
|Leesburg Pike and Cedar Drive - Algonkian/ Sterling District||Median Closure||Planning||2028|
|Leesburg Pike and Lakeland Drive - Algonkian/ Sterling District||Signalized Restricted Crossover U-Turn||Planning||2028|
|Leesburg Pike and North Sterling Boulevard/ Cardinal Glen Circle - Algonkian/ Sterling District||Continuous Green-T||Planning||2029|
|Leesburg Pike and Potomac View Road - Algonkian/ Sterling District||Reconfigure Westbound Turn Lanes||Design||2027|
|Loudoun County Parkway and Gloucester Parkway - Broad Run/ Sterling District||Signal Modifications||Planning||2027|
|Old Ox Road and Douglas Court - Sterling District||Turn Movement Restrictions||Design||2026|
|Old Ox Road and Dulles Summit Court - Sterling District||Reconfigure Westbound Turn Lanes||Design||2026|
|Pacific Boulevard and Business Court/ Indian Creek Drive - Sterling District||New Traffic Signal||Planning||2027|
|Pacific Boulevard and Relocation Drive - Sterling District||New Traffic Signal||Planning||2029|
|Sterling Boulevard and Glenn Drive - Sterling District||New Traffic Signal||Design||2027|
|Sterling Boulevard and Shaw Road - Sterling District||Signal Modifications||Planning||2027|
|Sterling Boulevard and W. Laurel Avenue - Sterling District||New Traffic Signal||Design||2028|
|Sterling Boulevard and Williamsburg Road/ Chase Heritage Circle - Sterling District||Turn Movement Restrictions||Design||2027|
|Sugarland Road and East Church Road/ East Frederick Drive - Sterling District||Mini Roundabout||Design||2028|
|Tall Cedars Parkway and Nations Street - Dulles District||Turn Movement Restrictions||Design||2026|
|Waxpool Road and Ashburn Road - Broad Run/ Little River District||New Traffic Signal||Design||2026|
* Estimated fiscal year (FY) date of completion. Loudoun County's FY runs July through June. For example, July 2023 is the start of FY 2024.
- Ryan Road and Cotton Grass Way - Little River District (Completed FY2022)
- Tall Cedars Parkway and Edgewater Street - Dulles District (Completed FY2023)
- Tall Cedars Parkway and Elk Lick Road - Dulles District (Completed FY2023)
- Waxpool Road and Shellhorn Road - Broad Run/Little River District (Completed FY2023)
The following resources provide more information about Loudoun County Capital Projects:
- View an interactive map that provides additional information on Loudoun County facilities or transportation projects in specific locations. Projects under the Intersection Improvement Program in the planning phase may not be included.
- View the most recent Quarterly Report on Capital Improvement Projects (PDF)
Stay Informed About This Program
The blog provides project updates to subscribers, including phase and milestone information.
- View all updates for all the Intersection Improvements projects.
- Sign up for updates about this project on Notify Me, Blogs category.
- Sugarland Road and East Church Road/East Frederick Drive Intersection Public Comment Period (ended 11/1/2023):
- October 18, 2022: Board of Supervisors Business Meeting - Intersection Improvement Program Update. Video
- October 18, 2022: Board of Supervisor Business Meeting - Intersection Improvement Program Presentation
- March 23, 2017: Board of Supervisors Business Meeting, Proposed Countywide Roadway Intersection Improvement Program (PDF)
- February 19, 2020: Transportation and Land Use Committee Meeting - Intersection Improvement Program Overview (PDF)
- June 16, 2020: Board of Supervisors Business Meeting - Expansion to the Countywide Roadway Intersection Improvement Program (PDF)
- July 21, 2020: Board Business Meeting - Intersection Improvement Program Update (PDF)
- Search Board of Supervisors documents for information related to this project.
- If you have questions about this project, email the Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructure or call 703-737-8299.
- Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call 703-771-5086.