Shellhorn Road Extended
This portion of the Shellhorn Road extension project will extend Shellhorn Road from Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA) property northern boundary to and connect with the Sterling Blvd. extension. The project will realign some existing roads near the Loudoun Gateway Silver Line Station, including Lockridge Road, Moran Road and Randolph Drive. When completed, Shellhorn Road will be a continuous route from Waxpool Road to Route 28 at the present-day Sterling Boulevard interchange.
Background of Shellhorn Road Extension
Shellhorn Road will be extended to become a collector road along the north side of the Dulles Greenway. Shellhorn road currently begins in the west at Waxpool Road and ends at Loudoun County Parkway. Shellhorn Road is being extend eastward, parallel to the Dulles Greenway, until it reaches existing Lockridge Road. From there, Shellhorn Road will turn to the south and follow the alignment of Lockridge Road until it reaches the northernmost property line of Dulles Airport. This portion of the Shellhorn Road extension will extend Shellhorn south by the northern entrance to the Loudoun Gateway Silver Line station, then east to connect with the Sterling Blvd. extension.
- This project is funded through local funding and the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority (NVTA).
Current Phase: Design - 100% Design Plans
- Learn about project phases and milestones.
- Visit the Capital Projects Active and Planned in Loudoun County interactive map to view projects in your area, including this one.
- Summer 2021 - Fall 2023: Design
- Winter 2024 - Fall 2024: Right of Way
- Winter 2025 - Fall 2025: Utilities Relocation
- Spring 2025 - Summer 2025: Procurement of Construction Contractor
- Fall 2025: Award Contract – Construction
- Winter 2026: Notice to Proceed – Construction
- Winter 2026 - Fall 2027: Construction
- Fall 2027: Substantial Completion
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all updates for this Shellhorn Road Extension project.
- Sign up for updates about this project on Notify Me, Blogs category.
- 11-3-21 Shellhorn Road Extended Design Endorsement (PDF)
- 7-26-21 Shellhorn Road Extended Public Meeting Presentation (PDF)
- 7-26-21 Shellhorn Road Extended Public Meeting Recording (MP4)
- Search Board of Supervisors documents for information related to this project.
• If you have questions about this project, email county staff or call 703-737-8624.
• Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call 703-771-5086.