Linear Parks & Trails System
Loudoun County is developing an interconnected, countywide linear parks and trails system based on the July 2021 approved plan (PDF). The comprehensive system will provide a variety of functions and benefits, including recreation, alternative transportation, wildlife habitat, water quality protection, flood hazard reduction, aquifer recharge, erosion prevention, property value enhancement, economic development, and scenic beauty.
- In 2019, the Board Supervisors directed the Loudoun County Parks, Recreation and Open Space (PROS) Board to develop a detailed implementation plan for an interconnected, countywide linear parks and trails system.
- The PROS Board appointed representatives from key stakeholder groups to the LPAT Subcommittee to advance the initiative.
- PRCS contracted with Design Workshop in Raleigh, North Carolina, in November 2020 to develop an interconnected, countywide linear parks and trails system.
- Approval of the plan followed public input sessions, surveys, stakeholder meetings, and presentations to the Board’s Transportation and Land Use Committee.
Events, updates & Committee meeting minutes
- May 27, 2022, update announces the opening of a new segment of the Linear Parks & Trails System and a ribbon cutting scheduled for June 11, 2022. Working in partnership with the Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Training Academy (NVCJTA) and Potomac Heritage Trail Association, Loudoun County has opened a new natural surface trail that adds an additional 2,200 ft. of trail along Broad Run.
- LPAT Committee Minutes
Stay Informed About This Project
- Approved Countywide Linear Parks and Trails System Plan (PDF)
- Approved Countywide Linear Parks and Trails System Plan (online version).
- Linear Parks and Trails subcommittee meeting agendas, recordings and summaries.
- Public Workshops
- LPAT Ribbon Cuttings Facebook Gallery
If you have questions about this project, email county staff.