Residential Additions and Alterations

Residential additions add square footage to the residential structure, not including condominiums. Screened porches are considered residential additions.

Residential alterations change the use of existing square footage, not including condominiums.

  1. Permits
  2. Additional Considerations
  3.  Fees
  4.  Inspections

Required Permits

  • A building and zoning permit application (PDF), signed by the property owner. Complete the entire form including: 
    • Square feet of area being disturbed (required)
    • If your property is located in an incorporated town within Loudoun County, submit an approved zoning permit from the town with your application.

Additional Documentation

In addition to the permit application, you are required to submit:

Learn who should apply for permits.

Submit an application

  • Submit the completed permit application and required documentation in one of the following ways: 


Call Building and Development at 703-777-0220, option 1.