Selma Estates Flood Mitigation Project
- Between 2013 and 2018, significant flooding events were experienced by residents along Farnborough Place, Osterly Lane, Trongate Court, Berkhamstead Place, and Saxon Shore Drive, resulting in damage to residential structures.
- A 2019 study found that a buyout program is the most viable flood mitigation option because it removes all risk of structural flooding during a 100-year storm event.
Project Status: November 2020
At its October 20, 2020 meeting, the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors approved the recommendation of the Finance, Government Operations and Economic Development Committee that the Board:
- Authorize staff to apply for a Flood Mitigation Assistance grant;
- Add the Selma Estates Flood Mitigation Project to the Amended FY 2021 – FY 2026 Capital Improvement Program;
- Commit to $3,409,841 in County funds in the FY 2022 CIP for the Selma Estates Flood Mitigation project. This funding is necessary for a Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) grant.
Related information for homeowners:
- FEMA’s Letter of Map Revision (LOMR) will be effective December 28, 2020.
- The County will submit a letter of map amendment (LOMA) on behalf of the 14 homeowners affected by the map change. FEMA regulations dictate a 30- to 60-day processing time for the LOMA.
- Upon FEMA issuance of the new LOMA, that approval can be submitted by individual homeowners to their lender.
- View the October 20, 2020 Board item.
- Watch the video of the the October 20, 2020 Board meeting.
- View the October 13, 2020 staff presentation to the Finance Committee.
- Watch the video of the October 13 Finance Committee meeting
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all updates on the Selma Estates Flood Mitigation Project
- Sign up to receive updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category
If you have questions about the flood mitigation project, email Ryan Reed at the Department of Building and Development or call 703-737-8426.
- October 13, 2020 Finance Committee Meeting Item (PDF)
- May 5, 2020 Board of Supervisors Meeting Item (PDF)
- February 10, 2020 Community Meeting Presentation (PDF)
- December 3, 2019 Staff Presentation: Floodplain Analysis and Mitigation Alternatives (PDF)
- December 3, 2019 Board of Supervisors Meeting Item (PDF)
- Watershed Analysis by Wood PLC (PDF)
- View the most recent FEMA floodplain map for this area (PDF).
- Learn more about FEMA’s acquisition/buyout mitigation activity.(PDF)