COVID-19 Limited Rent Assistance
Loudoun County government has established a limited rent assistance program for Loudoun County households economically impacted by COVID-19. The terms of the program include:
- Income eligibility based on household size for households earning up to 70% of the state median income ($70,332 for a family of 4):
|Virginia State Median Income - 70% Monthly Income by Family Size|
|# in Family||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10|
- Direct payments made to landlords or property management companies on behalf of residents who qualify for the program.
- Depending on funding availability, the program provides up to three months of rent assistance. Applicants need to apply for one month of assistance at a time.
- Residents must be current in their rent payments as of March 30, 2020.
- The program will continue as long as the local emergency declaration is in effect and funding is available.
For assistance with your application, contact Loudoun County Health and Human Services Information and Referral at 703-777-0420.
Applicants must submit a completed application form as well as eligibility documentation, such as a current lease and paperwork that shows a job loss, reduced income, or hardship due to COVID-19. This documentation will be verified to determine eligibility. DO NOT submit your application until you have gathered ALL required documentation. Submitting an application does not guarantee financial assistance will be provided.
For quick reference:
Step 1: Gather Required Documents
- Proof of Loudoun County residency
- Current lease or rental agreement
- Rental account history and balance due
- Earned income
- Proof of job loss or reduced hours due to COVID-19
- Other income
- Other assets
- W-9 Form: In order to process a payment, the county must have a W-9 form from your landlord or property management company on file.
- A list of property management companies with W-9 forms already on file with Loudoun County is here.
- If you have a private landlord or your property management company is not on the list above, a W-9 must be submitted. Your landlord will need to sign, date and complete the form. You can submit the completed W-9 form along with your other application materials, or your landlord can submit the W-9 separately. If via email, submit to [email protected] with the subject line "COVID-19 Limited Rent Assistance, [your last name and first initial]"
Step 2: Complete Your Application Form
Step 3: Submit Your Application Package
- Download, print and complete PDF application form.
- Write your full name on each page of the required documents and scan or photograph each page.
- Submit the completed package (application form and required documents) via email with the subject line “COVID-19 Limited Rental Assistance, [your last name and first initial].”
- Paper Copy:
- Request a paper application form be mailed to you by calling 703-777-0420.
- When you receive it, complete the application form:
- Write your full name on each page of the required documents.
- Submit the completed package (application form and required documents):
- Drop off in the blue drop box located at the Shenandoah Office, 102 Heritage Way, NE, Leesburg, VA (on the right-hand side of the entrance to the building). You may drop off the application package at any time; the drop box is checked regularly during business hours. OR
- Mail in an envelope addressed to “Loudoun DFS, Attn: Limited Rental Assistance, P.O. Box 7400, Leesburg, VA 20177.”
- Check your email and mailbox regularly. Applications submitted without complete documentation cannot be processed. You will be contacted by email or postal mail if there is any missing documentation. You will need to submit the missing documentation within 10 business days.
- Once your application has been processed, you will receive an email or letter notifying you that your application is either approved or denied. The eligibility decision can not be appealed. If your situation changes, you may reapply. The process takes approximately 3-4 weeks.
- For more information, contact 703-777-0420.
|Verification Needed||Acceptable Documents|
|Proof of Loudoun County residency||• Photo ID, OR
• Driver’s license, OR
• Bill with your name and address
|Current lease or rental agreement (lease must be current-shows dates beyond March 2020, signed and dated. If you are on a month-to-month lease, you will need to submit the signed addendum.)||
• Copy of your signed lease, OR
• If you do not have a formal lease, provide a written statement of the rental agreement, AND a letter from your landlord of your rental agreement.
|Rental account history and balance due||Statement from landlord or property owner showing
account history since March 2020, AND the current balance owed.
|Earned income (money from working)||• All pay stubs from the last 3 months for each person in your home who is/was employed, AND
• If you are self employed, provide your most recent submitted tax return (all pages) AND self employment records for the last three months.
|Proof of job loss or reduced hours due to COVID-19||Notice from your employer on company letterhead that states you have been “laid off” or furloughed, or had a reduction in work hours due to COVID-19.|
|Other income for the last 3 months (child support, alimony, Social Security, SSI, pension, cash gifts, etc.)||• Copy of cancelled checks
• Bank statements showing deposit of income
• Copy of money order receipts
• Public Benefits letter
• Unemployment letter
|Other assets (bank accounts, money market/ mutual funds, stocks/bonds, 401K account, or other assets)||Copy of statements (all pages) showing current balance of all accounts.|
|W-9 Form (from your landlord or property manager)||In order to process a payment, the county must have a W-9 form from your landlord or property management company on file. A list of property management companies with W-9 forms already on file with Loudoun County is here. If you have a private landlord or your property management company is not on the list above, a W-9 must be submitted. Your landlord will need to sign, date and complete the form. You can submit the completed W-9 form along with your other application materials, or your landlord can submit the W-9 separately. If via email, submit to [email protected] with the subject line "COVID-19 Limited Rent Assistance, [your last name and first initial]."|
How do I scan documents with my cell phone or mobile device?
- Scan documents on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using the Notes app
- Scan documents on your Android device using Google Drive app
Is this rental assistance taxable for applicants?
No. Loudoun County’s payment is to the landlord so there is no tax liability for the tenant.
What will happen if there are more requests than available funds?
The Limited Rental Assistance Program is available to assist eligible Loudoun County residents who have been financially impacted by COVID-19 either due to loss of job, being furloughed, or reduced wages. Rental assistance is being provided one month at a time, and our goal is to process the initial requests of eligible applicants first, based on funding availability. If we have remaining funds, our goal will be to process requests to pay an additional month of rent, for eligible applicants up to funding availability. You must re-apply to request payment beyond your initial request; payment will be made if you are determined eligible and funding is available.
What do I submit if I am self-employed and do not have paystubs?
Please submit bank statements, a tax return from 2018 or 2019 (if you filed), and write a statement indicating that you are self-employed, the type of work and how you were impacted by COVID-19.
What if I do not have a lease because I rent a room?
Please submit a letter from your landlord along with a signed written statement indicating that you are renting a room, the monthly rental amount and your landlord’s name. Your landlord will need to complete the W-9.
What if I sublease, and I’m not on the actual lease?
Unfortunately, you are not eligible for this program.
- Public Assistance
- Utilities Assistance
- Unemployment Insurance
- Economic Impact Payments
- Loudoun Workforce Resource Center