Metrorail Platform Improvement Project
Metrorail’s Platform Improvement Project, which began May 23, 2020, impacts Loudoun County commuters and Metrorail riders during the summer 2020. In an effort to reduce project length and minimize rail disruptions, Metrorail’s original Platform Improvement Project scope and timeline has changed. Efforts to improve the condition of passenger platforms throughout the Metrorail system were combined with a separate project to connect new “phase II” stations in Loudoun County to the Silver Line.
- For more information about Metrorail’s Platform Improvement Project, or to subscribe for updates, visit Metro’s project page.
- For answers to frequently asked questions, or to ask Metro a question about the project, visit Metro’s Platform Improvement Project FAQ.
Impact to Metrorail Orange and Silver Line Service
As of Sunday, August 16, 2020:
- Silver Line Metrorail service resumed.
- Five Silver Line Metrorail stations west of Ballston–MU reopened, including Wiehle-Reston East, Spring Hill, Greensboro, Tysons Corner, and McLean.
- The Orange Line Metrorail station at West Falls Church opened.
- The following Metrorail stations remain closed:
- The Silver and Orange Line Metrorail station at East Falls Church opens Sunday, August 23, 2020.
- The Orange Line Metrorail stations at Vienna and Dunn Loring stations open Tuesday, September 8, 2020, the day after Labor Day.
- Fairfax County has reinstated parking fees at the Wiehle-Reston East Metrorail station garage.
- Silver Line Express Bus service between Dulles International Airport and the Wiehle-Reston East Metrorail Station resumed.
Impact to Loudoun County Transit’s Metro Connection Bus Service
Metro Connection Bus Routes 901 and 902 are moved temporarily from the West Falls Church Metrorail Station to the Ballston Metrorail Station. Regular service at the West Falls Church Metrorail Station will resume when the Platform Improvement Project is completed and the bus loop utilized by Loudoun County Transit reopens.
- Routes 901/902: Potomac Falls to and from the Ballston Metrorail Station:
- Please note that the Bus Time system, Loudoun County Transit’s tool to provide riders with real-time bus tracking information, does not currently include Bus Routes 901 and 902.
Loudoun County Transit continues to monitor demand and will make additional service adjustments as needed.
- What’s happening now? Receive notification of Loudoun County Transit bus schedule changes by signing up for Bus Biz email and text alerts.
- Plan ahead! Visit the Bus Service Changes page for information regarding anticipated changes to Loudoun County bus services and schedules.
- Contact Loudoun County Transit by phone at 877-465-2287 or 703-771-5665. A customer service representative is available to speak to callers Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Comments regarding any suggested route, stop or schedule changes are also welcomed via email to Loudoun County Transit and Commuter Services.