Metrorail Platform Improvement Project
Metrorail’s Platform Improvement Project, which began May 23, 2020, impacts Loudoun County commuters and Metrorail riders during the summer 2020. In an effort to reduce project length and minimize rail disruptions, Metrorail’s original Platform Improvement Project scope and timeline has changed. Efforts to improve the condition of passenger platforms throughout the Metrorail system were combined with a separate project to connect new “phase II” stations in Loudoun County to the Silver Line.
- For more information about Metrorail’s Platform Improvement Project, or to subscribe for updates, visit Metro’s project page.
- For answers to frequently asked questions, or to ask Metro a question about the project, visit Metro’s Platform Improvement Project FAQ.
Impact to Metrorail Orange and Silver Line Service
From Saturday, May 23, 2020 until Labor Day:
- All nine Orange and Silver Line Metrorail stations west of Ballston–MU are closed. All stations are scheduled to reopen by August 16, 2020 except for Vienna, Dunn Loring and East Falls Church, which will open by Labor day.
- Orange Line station closures – Vienna, Dunn Loring, West Falls Church and East Falls Church.
- Silver Line station closures – Wiehle-Reston East, Spring Hill, Greensboro, Tysons Corner, McLean and East Falls Church.
- Silver Line Metrorail service is suspended until August 16, 2020.
- Free shuttle service is provided by Metro during the shutdown. View Metrorail shuttle information.
- Metro Silver Line shuttles pick up and drop off passengers on Reston Station Boulevard, on the north side of the Wiehle-Reston East Metrorail Station.
- Loudoun County Metro Connection Bus service continues to service Wiehle-Reston East Metrorail Station passengers from the south bus bays. Riders will use the pedestrian bridge over Route 267 to walk between the south bus bays and the Metro Silver Line shuttle stop as shown in the Loudoun County Transit to Metro Shuttle Service Pedestrian Map (PDF).
- Fairfax County has suspended parking fees at the Wiehle-Reston East Metrorail station garage through the end of the summer shutdown. Details provided on Fairfax County’s website.
- The Silver Line Express Bus service is suspended between Dulles International Airport and the Wiehle-Reston East Metrorail Station.
Impact to Loudoun County Transit’s Metro Connection Bus Service
Metro Connection Bus Routes 901 and 902 are moved temporarily from the West Falls Church Metrorail Station to the Ballston Metrorail Station. Regular service at the West Falls Church Metrorail Station will resume when the Platform Improvement Project is completed.
- Routes 901/902: Potomac Falls to and from the Ballston Metrorail Station:
- Please note that the Bus Time system, Loudoun County Transit’s tool to provide riders with real-time bus tracking information, does not currently include Bus Routes 901 and 902.
Loudoun County Transit continues to monitor demand and will make additional service adjustments as needed.
- What’s happening now? Receive notification of Loudoun County Transit bus schedule changes by signing up for Bus Biz email and text alerts.
- Plan ahead! Visit the Bus Service Changes page for information regarding anticipated changes to Loudoun County bus services and schedules.
- Contact Loudoun County Transit by phone at 877-465-2287 or 703-771-5665. A customer service representative is available to speak to callers Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Comments regarding any suggested route, stop or schedule changes are also welcomed via email to Loudoun County Transit.