Route 15 South Safety & Operational Study
- The project consists of a safety and operational study of approximately 12 miles of Route 15 (James Monroe Highway) from the south corporate limit of the Town of Leesburg to the Prince William County line. The study will identify safety and traffic operational issues and present recommended solutions for consideration by the Board of Supervisors.
- Throughout the study, public and focus group meetings will be held to capture local observations, perspectives and concerns along the corridor.
- The goal of the proposed improvements will be to ensure that this segment of Route 15 continues to carry local and commuter traffic safely and efficiently while preserving the unique context of the historical roadway.
- Loudoun County’s approved Capital Improvement Program contains one project on the study corridor; the Route 15 and Braddock Road Roundabout, currently scheduled to begin design in 2024.
Current Status: April 2021
- Loudoun County hosted a virtual public input meeting on April 22, 2021 to review concept alternatives for the corridor. The survey and comment period to provide feedback on the concept alternatives is open through May 21, 2021. More information is provided below.
- A virtual Route 15 (South) focus group meeting was held on October 1, 2020 and on January 28, 2021. A virtual public input meeting was held on July 30, 2020.The presentation, diagrams and the recording can be reviewed in the Meeting Documents section.
- Work is underway to evaluate existing conditions along Route 15 (South), including roadway and intersection safety, roadway design and traffic.
- The first Route 15 (South) focus group meeting was held February 27, 2020. View the meeting presentation (PDF).
- There will be up to five focus group meetings throughout the study. The anticipated completion of the study is the summer 2021.
Concepts Alternatives Preference Survey
- Loudoun County hosted a virtual public input meeting on April 22, 2021 to review concept alternatives for the corridor. Visit the public information meeting page to review the presentation materials and take the survey through May 21, 2021.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all project updates on the Route 15 (South) Safety and Operational Study.
- Sign up for updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category.
- 06-29-17: Board of Supervisors Transportation Summit Staff Report: Rural Primary Roads (PDF)
- 07-03-18: Board of Supervisors Staff Report: Primary Rural Roads Safety and Operational Studies (PDF)
If you have questions or comments about this project, email the Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructure or call 703-777-0251.
Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call 703-771-5086.