Zoning Ordinance Rewrite
- The Zoning Ordinance is the primary implementation tool for the 2019 Comprehensive Plan.
- It contains an added level of specificity that is based on the community’s vision as expressed in the goals, policies and actions of the 2019 Comprehensive Plan.
- The rewrite project, which kicked off in September 2019, is expected to take approximately 24 months.
- The Zoning Ordinance Committee will serve as a sounding board throughout the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite process.
- Input from the Board of Supervisors, advisory bodies, various departments and community and professional groups will also be factored into the final product.
- A number of Zoning Ordinance Amendments have been rolled into the rewrite project.
- WSP USA Inc. has been awarded a contract to provide consulting services for the Zoning Ordinance rewrite.
The main focus areas of the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite include:
- Implementation of the new comprehensive plan vision, including the Urban Policy Area, which involves new place types with densities, standards, building forms, and infrastructure that have yet to be realized in Loudoun County.
- Modernization: revising land uses and definitions to reflect the current marketplace, reevaluating parking ratios and calculations, update lot and building standards, and aligning how the County administers planned unit developments with modern practice.
- Consistency audit: analyzing existing standards and striving for consistency within the document and across zoning districts when feasible.
- Structure and flow: improving the document structure, making it user-friendly and clear.
- Opportunities and challenges: evaluating input from stakeholders about the current Zoning Ordinance and making improvements where appropriate.
- Legislation: incorporating changes based on new or revised provisions of the Code of Virginia, court cases, and best management practices promoted by the Virginia Association of Zoning Officials, Urban Land Institute and American Planning Association.
|Project Milestones||Planned Date|
|Approval of Project Plan, consultant selection||September 2019|
|Project kickoff||October 2019|
|Research, analysis, Staff Technical Advisory Committee meetings||October 2019 -February 2020|
|Round One Input: Planning Commission, ZOAG, Advisory and Community Groups||January - July 2020|
|Integrate Round One Input, STAC Meetings, Ordinance Development||July - November 2020|
|Round Two Input: Planning Commission, Zoning Ordinance Committee, Advisory and
Community Groups; Draft Resolution of Intent to Amend (ROIA)
|November 2020 - March 2021|
|Present Proposed ROIA to Board of Supervisors for Review & Adoption||Spring 2021|
|Refine Draft Ordinance Text per Referral Review & Round Two Input||Summer 2021|
|Round Three Input: 90-day referral review (open to all parties)||Summer 2021|
|Second draft ZO Rewrite to Planning Commission for review and recommendations||Fall 2021|
|PC draft ZO Rewrite to Board of Supervisors for review and adoption||Early 2022|
Project update: March 2021
Best Management Practices Research
As specified in the project plan, Kendig Keast Collaborative has completed to complete two Best Practices Assessments to inform the ZOR project:
- Planned Unit Developments – Best Practices Assessment (PDF)
- Zoning Incentives – Best Practices Assessment (PDF)
The project also calls for a code audit, which evaluates the county’s code structure, districts, development standards, use regulations, and code administration process. The code audit, completed by WSP, includes recommended updates to the Zoning Ordinance that improve usability, modernize regulations, and implement the Loudoun County 2019 General Plan.
- Code Audit – Text Analysis (PDF)
- Code Audit – District Assessment and Recommendations (PDF)
- Transportation and Land Use Committee Report and Presentation, December 2020 (PDF)
Round Two Public Input
- Between January and March, remote public input sessions have taken place with more than 30 community groups.
- Individuals are encouraged to participate in the public input process.
- To submit comments or questions:
- Email Planning and Zoning or
- Call 703-777-0246
Searchable Online Platform for Zoning Ordinances
- Significant progress has been made in building an online interactive platform for the county’s Zoning Ordinance(s), which will be linked from the county’s website. The 1972, 1993, Revised 1993, and Route 28 Overlay Zoning Ordinances have been migrated into the cloud-based software, which supports collaborative drafting, archiving, and code publishing.
- The online platform will allow the public to search all county Zoning Ordinances via text or GIS map interface, guide users towards appropriate ordinance sections based on their interests, and provide a mechanism for internal and public comments on proposed Ordinance amendments.
- The new platform is expected to be released in Summer 2021.
- September 19, 2019: Board of Supervisors Business Meeting - Project Plan and Staff Presentation
- September 19, 2019: Summary of Board Action (PDF)
- Additional documents are located on Loudoun Online Land Application System (LOLA). Search application number ZOAM-2020-0001.
- View all updates on the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite.
- Sign up to receive updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category.
- For questions about the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite project, email Planning and Zoning or call 703-777-0246.