- Departments & Offices
- Planning & Zoning
- Short Term Residential Rentals
Short-Term Residential Rentals
A short-term residential rental is the provision of a room or space that is suitable or intended for occupancy for dwelling, sleeping, or lodging purposes, for a period of fewer than 30 consecutive days, in exchange for a charge for the occupancy.
Loudoun County established a short-term residential rental registration ordinance intended to help the county monitor and evaluate the growing industry of short-term residential rentals. The registry established by the ordinance created a channel for the county to provide operators of short-term residential rentals with important business-related information and resources.
Zoning Ordinance Amendment (ZOAM) Regarding Short-Term Rentals
On April 4, 2023, the Board of Supervisors adopted an amendment to the Zoning Ordinance that established short term rental uses.
Registration Requirements for Short-Term Residential Rentals
Operators of short-term residential rentals in Loudoun are required to register their properties online annually. Registration is free.
After completing the registration form, operators will receive a confirmation e-mail with a copy of the registration for their records. Operators who do not register with the county may face a fine of $500 per violation.
The State Code of Virginia provides for exemptions to the registration requirement. (See Section B.2) .
Information about the registration process and the exemptions may be found in this Short-Term Residential Registration Fact Sheet (PDF) that you may download or print.
Other Regulations Regarding Short-Term Residential Rentals
Are short-term residential rental operators currently subject to local taxes?
- Yes. Short-term residential rental operators are currently required to file and pay all applicable taxes if they meet the filing requirements.
- The filing requirement for the transient occupancy tax is the ability to “lodge four or more persons at one time.” For the Business, Professional, and Occupational License tax, the requirement is the provision of “in excess of seven bedrooms.”
- For questions, email the Commissioner of the Revenue or call 703-777-0260.
- Contact Zoning Administration if you have questions about using your property for a short-term residential rental based on the Zoning Ordinance . They will also determine if you will need a Zoning Permit. You can contact zoning administration by submitting a request online, or by calling 703-777-0246.
- Contact the Health Department to determine what is required for a short-term residential rental. You can contact the department by email or by phone at 703-777-0234.
- The Health Department reviews the specifics of the rental to determine if the property meets the definition of a Bed and Breakfast.
Towns and HOAs
- If you live in a homeowners or condo association, contact your association to verify their regulations regarding short-term rentals.
- If you live in an incorporated town, contact the town for information regarding their regulations.
Transient Occupancy Tax
Beginning July 1, 2023, Loudoun County’s ordinance, Chapter 878 – Transient Occupancy Tax, applies to lodging facilities that offer lodging or accommodations for compensation to one or more persons.