- Business Recycling
- Christmas Tree Recycling
- County Recycling Centers
- Donating Used Items
- Electronics Recycling
- Hazardous Waste Program
- Paper Shredding
- Plastic Bag Recycling
- Recycling Bin Loan Program
- Residential Recycling
Businesses located in Loudoun County are required to recycle per Loudoun County Ordinance Chapter 1086.
Business Recycling Resources
- Loudoun County offers technical assistance to help businesses implement a successful recycling program.
- If your business currently receives garbage collection service, your service provider should be able, and in most cases is required, to provide recycling service.
- Adding recycling service will reduce the capacity needed for regular trash and may provide an opportunity for a price reduction in your trash bill to offset the cost for establishing the recycling collection service.
The following links are provided to guide you in developing a business recycling program:
For additional information or technical assistance in implementing your business-recycling program, please call 703-771-5500 or visit the Frequently Asked Questions on Business Recycling.
Christmas Tree Recycling
Residents who receive curbside recycling services should contact their homeowners association, town office, or private waste collector for Christmas tree curbside recycling information. See Residential Recycling tab for more information.
Christmas Tree Recycling Locations & Fees
From late December through mid-January. Christmas trees are processed into mulch available for free to Loudoun residents at the Landfill.
Recycle left over Christmas trees for $62 per ton.
Open Monday - Saturday
Open daily, 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
Open daily, 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Christmas trees should not be placed in bags.
- All decorations, light strands, tree stand, and bag should be removed before setting the trees out for recycling or taking them to any of the county's collection locations.
- The Christmas tree drop-off program is for residential use only.
- Tree vendors are welcome to use the Loudoun County Landfill.
For more information, please call 703-771-5514.
View information on the Recycling Drop-off Centers including accepted materials.
Recycling Center Locations
Donating Used Items
- Residents and businesses are encouraged to donate reusable items to donation centers.
- Donation centers in the county are listed below and should be contacted directly for accepted items.
- This list is not all-inclusive. Inclusion on this list does not imply an endorsement of the organization or their services by Loudoun County.
- Organizations interested in being added to this list should contact 703-771-5500 or email us.
Donation Centers in Loudoun County
|Donation Centers||Address||Phone Number|
|Blossom and Bloom||110 West Market Street|
Leesburg, VA 20111
|Good Shepherd Alliance||20921 Davenport Drive|
Sterling, VA 20165
|Goodwill Retail Store and Donation Center||Sterling Plaza II Shopping Center|
22405 Enterprise Street
Sterling, VA 20164
|Habitat for Humanity ReStore||Exeter Shopping Center|
700 Fieldstone Drive
Leesburg, VA 20176
|Hope's Treasures||20684 Ashburn Road|
Ashburn, VA 20147
|Resourceful Women||11-A Loudoun Street SW|
Leesburg, VA 20175
|The Salvation Army||12 Cardinal Park Drive|
Leesburg, VA 20175
|The Salvation Army|
|44260 Ice Rink Plaza|
Ashburn, VA 20147
|Twice is Nice Thrift Shop||305 E Market Street|
Leesburg, VA 20176
|Women Giving Back||20 Export Drive|
Sterling, VA 20164
Why recycle electronics
- Electronics are made with a variety of valuable resources such as precious metals, engineered plastics, glass, steel, aluminum, and other materials, all of which require energy to manufacture.
- When electronic equipment is simply discarded as waste, the energy value in these resources is lost and substantial amounts of waste and pollution result in the mining and processing of natural resources needed to replace those that were discarded.
- Electronics make up approximately 2% of our waste each year, which equates to nearly 6,000 tons in Loudoun County, and most of this material is recyclable.
Where to recycle your electronics
- For local electronic recycling resources, visit A to Z Local Recycling Resources (PDF).
Manufacturer Recycling Programs
Manufacturers to provide free recycling for brand name computers and monitors for residential and home-business consumers. Visit Manufacturer Recycling Programs for a list of participating manufacturers and links to their free recycling mail-back services.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) provides information about electronics waste and recycling, and offers a comprehensive selection of recycling options.
- Virginia Department of Environmental Quality Computer and Electronics Recycling Program provides information about electronics recycling, service providers, local programs, and manufacturer take-back programs (free of charge).
Paper Shredding and Document Destruction Services
Loudoun County does not offer paper shredding services.
Below is a list of local paper shredding and document destruction service providers:
- Town of Leesburg free document shredding events are held twice a year - in the spring and fall.
- Office Depot stores located in Leesburg and Sterling provide paper shredding services; fees apply.
- Securis located in Chantilly provided paper shredding during its monthly electronics recycling events. The cost is $10 per 10 inch by 12 inch by 15 inch box.
- Shred Nations located inside the UPS Store in Leesburg provides shredding services; fees apply.
- Staples stores in Leesburg and Sterling provide paper shredding services at store locations; fees apply.
Plastic Bag Recycling
Loudoun County does not offer plastic bag recycling.
Listed below are locations that offer plastic bag recycling, check with individual locations for restrictions.
- Plastic bags, films, and wraps may be recycled at participating locations.
- All bags must be clean, dry, and free of food residue.
- Do not place plastic bags in curbside recycling bins or at the Recycling Drop-off Centers
This information is not all-inclusive. Inclusion does not imply an endorsement of the organization or their services by Loudoun County.
Trex Recycling Program
|Participating Locations||Items Accepted|
For more information visit, the Trex Recycling Program.
Find a plastic bag recycling facility near you.
Recycling Bins for Special Events
- Loudoun County provides free recycling bins for loan to large and small gatherings including festivals, neighborhood parties, sporting events, family reunions, and for other events of any size.
- The recycling bins are constructed with a collapsible metal frame (lays flat) and a specialized snap-on lid. A clear bag inserts into the frame. Bags are provided at no charge.
- Up to 50 recycling bins are available for loan on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Up to five indoor recycling bins are available for loan also. The indoor recycling bins are plastic, approximately 3 foot by 2 foot by 8 foot and include a specialized lid.
Reserve Recycling Bins
The recycling bins may be picked up and returned by appointment in Leesburg. Call 703-771-5500 to reserve recycling bins for your next event.
Consider the following items in order to determine how many bins are needed:
- Number of Vendors or Attendees
- Serving Food & Beverages
- Placement of Receptacles (entry/exit points, near vendors, near restrooms)
- Emptying & Transferring Material (during and at end of event)
What Do I Do with My Recyclables After the Event
Bagged recyclables may be deposited at any Loudoun County Recycling Dropoff Center location. Find out more information about the Recycling Dropoff Centers and the location nearest you.
Promote Recycling at Your Event
- Encourage recycling by promoting it during special announcements and by advertising recycling in the event program and on a sign at the entrance.
- Recycling bins should be clearly marked to help prevent them from being used for trash. The Loudoun County will provide recycling decals to assist your promotional efforts, please call 703-771-5500.
- It also helps to use recycling bins that have a reduced opening in the top that will limit the size to that of a bottle or can and help keep trash out. For example, plastic trash cans with lids are an inexpensive option for recycling bins by simply cutting a small circular hole in the lid for bottles and cans.
Curbside and recycling collection services are provided only by town governments, homeowners associations (HOAs), or directly by one of the solid waste disposal and recycling companies.
Residents may drop-off their recyclables at any of the 10 drop-off sites located throughout the county.
Curbside recycling service in Loudoun County is offered by the incorporated towns, homeowner associations, residential and commercial property management offices, or by direct subscription with local waste collection service providers.
Check with your service provider for a complete list of what is accepted for recycling.
Curbside recycling bins are provided by the service provider or agency that is responsible for ensuring service. Recycling bins are also available for purchase at local home improvement stores and on-line.
Recyclables should be placed loosely in recycling bins, without the bag, and the recycling bin should be covered to prevent litter.
Grass clippings, leaves, and twigs should not be set out in plastic bags, only use paper bags designed for yard waste or a reusable container.
Accepted & Unaccepted Items for Curbside Recycling
Contents should be emptied from bottles, cans and jars, and any rinsing should be minimized to conserve water. Minor residuals of food or detergent is okay.
Plastic bags of any type are not accepted for curbside recycling because they cause equipment jamming issues at recycling sorting facilities, which also includes any plastic bags used for carrying out the recyclables. Plastic grocery bags should be returned to grocery stores for recycling. See the Plastic Bag Recycling Tab for programs related to plastic bag recycling.
|Accepted Items||Unaccepted Items|
- A to Z Recycling (PDF) contains more information for scrap metal items, household batteries, light bulbs, electronics, motor oil, other automotive fluids, and car batteries.
- Disposal of garbage, latex paint, construction materials, plate glass, and other types of trash is available at our landfill page.
- Hazardous materials and substances and medical wastes disposal information.
- Residential Recycling Guide