Mental Health First Aid
- Mental Health First Aid is a public education, certification program offered by the Loudoun County Department of Mental Health, Substance Abuse and Developmental Services that teaches you how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illnesses and substance use disorders. The training gives you the skills you need to reach out and provide initial help and support to someone who may be developing a mental health or substance use problem or experiencing a crisis.
- There are two versions of the program, a general adult program and a program for adults who interact with youth.
- These courses are offered free of charge to anyone in the Loudoun community.
Training Session Formats
All participants will be required to complete a two-hour, self-paced online training in advance of the virtual instruction, which will be scheduled for about a week later. Following the completion of the required training:
- Participants in the Adult Mental Health First Aid program will complete a six-hour, instructor-led videoconference training typically held in two sessions.
- Participants in the Youth Mental Health First Aid program will complete a six-hour, Instructor led in-person training typically held in two sessions.
What the Training Covers
- Common signs and symptoms of mental illness.
- Common signs and symptoms of substance use.
- How to interact with a person in crisis.
- How to connect the person with help.
- The trainings now include expanded content on trauma, addiction and self-care.
Class Dates & How to Register
Adult Mental Health First Aid
- February 2023
- Tuesday-Wednesday, February 14-15, 2023 - Register here.
- 9:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. both days
- In-person class held at the Loudoun County Department of Mental Health, Substance Abuse & Developmental Services office located at 906 Trailview Boulevard SE, Leesburg, VA. Aspen Room.
Youth Mental Health First Aid (For Adults who Interact with Youth)
- Coming Soon
If you have questions about Mental Health First Aid or would like more information, send an email or call 571-258-3365.