Household Hazardous Waste
About the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
Loudoun County typically conducts eight Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) collection events from March through November to collect used and unwanted household hazardous materials such as gasoline and household chemicals, and the events are held at various locations throughout the county, not at the county landfill.
A hazardous waste management contractor manages each collection event to accept and package the waste for shipment to an appropriate processing facility.
Special Notice for the 2020 HHW Events
The HHW events include social distancing measures that help mitigate the spread of COVID-19. The following procedures have been put into place:
- Members of the public are required to wear face coverings at the point of service.
- The event is a drive-thru, in which residents are instructed to remain in their vehicles and allow event staff to unload any items accepted for disposal.
- Items must be placed in the rear of the vehicle, such as the trunk of a car, the bed of a pickup truck or the very back of an SUV. Items will not be accepted if in the front seat, back seat or if the driver attempts to hand an item to staff.
- In order to ensure everyone remains in their vehicle while at the point of service, if items are transported inside plastic bags, the bags must be open, not tied or sealed. Staff are not allowed to open any plastic bag containing HHW.
|November 21||8:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.||Claude Moore Park
46150 Loudoun Park Lane
Sterling, VA 20164
Limit Per Household
- Up to 15 gallons of liquid household waste / 40 pounds of solid household waste
(Container size no larger than five gallons)
Please note that participants must provide proof of Loudoun County residency such as a driver’s license or utility bill.
The county also conducts two hazardous waste disposal collection events each year for local businesses under the Business Hazardous Waste Program.