Paratransit Bus Service
"Complementary" Paratransit bus services are provided in Loudoun County for all of the local fixed routes with the exception of Route 40 (Purcellville Connector). "Complementary" Paratransit bus service is defined as ADA Accessible "curb to curb" bus service that picks up and drops off within 3/4 of a mile of an existing Loudoun County local fixed route. If you are not sure whether or not you are within 3/4 of a mile of an existing Loudoun County local fixed route, please call 571-258-3464 and staff will assist you. All riders of the "Complementary" Paratransit bus services must be eligible as determined through Loudoun's registration process. Please see the Online Application section below to register.
"On-Demand" bus service is also available in Loudoun County; however, it is is provided by a private company, Virginia Regional Transit. On-Demand bus services use ADA Accessible transit buses to provide service to all areas outside of the 3/4 mile buffer of the local fixed routes that are run by Loudoun County. To reserve and On-Demand ride, please cal 540-338-1610.
The service area map (PDF) Opens a New Window. of Loudoun County shows the Paratransit service area provided in blue and the On-Demand service area provided in pink. If you are not sure which area your trip falls into, please call 571-258-3464 and the customer service agent will let you know.
Users of the paratransit service must register and apply for the service ahead of time. To be approved to use Loudoun County's local paratransit bus service, you must apply for approval through the county's contractor, ADA Ride. The online process takes about 15 minutes to complete. ADA Ride's hours of operation are 11:00 AM - 7:00 PM EST. The application is online:
- ADA Ride Application for Approval to Use Loudoun County Paratransit Bus Service
- You may also call ADA Ride at 877-232-7433 for help with registration
Opens a New Window. To Schedule a Ride
Once you are registered, you may schedule a ride by calling 571-258-3464.
- ADA Paratransit Policies and Procedures Opens a New Window.
- Loudoun County Transit holidays (Paratransit Service does not operate) : Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
Paratransit Service Details & Eligibility
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) guarantees people with disabilities the same access to public transportation as people without disabilities. All Loudoun County Transit buses are wheelchair accessible. If you are a disabled resident in Loudoun County but are able to access a local fixed route stop then staff encourage you to consider using the local fixed route buses for your transit needs. Loudoun's disabled residents who cannot access a local fixed route bus stop or are unable to use public transportation because of their disability are encouraged to use Loudoun's paratransit services.
The paratransit service is a curb-to-curb, shared ride service that picks up and drops off within three-fourths of a mile of any Loudoun County local fixed route. All paratransit rides must be scheduled ahead of time. Passengers usually ride with others who are traveling in the same general direction, and drivers often stop to pick up or drop off other passengers on route.
Paratransit eligibility is based on an individual's functional ability to use the fixed route system; it is not based on a medical diagnosis or meeting the broader ADA definition of "disability." Simply having a disability does not make you eligible for complementary paratransit under the ADA. The ADA paratransit service is for residents riders whose disabilities prevent them from using fixed route bus service. To be eligible, you must:
- Meet the disability guidelines of the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Cannot access the service's fixed-route bus due to your disability
- Be approved to use Metro Access or file an application or approved by ADAride to use Loudoun County Transit through ADA Ride and be approved for paratransit service
If you have a short-term disability that prevents you from accessing local buses, you can get temporary approval for paratransit services.
Loudoun County Local Buses
Loudoun County local buses are wheelchair accessible. View the video to learn more about the Loudoun County local bus system.
- ADA Policies and Procedures Rider Guide (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Fare Payment Policy (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Ineligible Trip Request Policy (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- No Strand Policy (PDF)
- Origin to Destination Service (PDF)
- Response Time Policy (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Trip Cancellation (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Vehicle Wait Time and Customer No Show Policy (PDF) Opens a New Window.