Building and Zoning Permit Application Forms
Building & Trade Permit Forms
Zoning Permit Forms
- Farm Building or Structure Attachment Application (PDF)
- Home Childcare Permit Application (PDF)
- Home Occupation Permit Application (PDF)
- Sign Permit Application (PDF)
- Temporary Sales Zoning Permit Application (PDF)
- Temporary Sign Permit Application (PDF)
- Temporary Special Events Permit Application (PDF)
- Annual Sign Permit (PDF)
- Annual Private Party Application
Related Documents, Forms and Attachments
- Basement Guidelines (PDF)
- Masterfile House Permit Application (PDF)
- Occupancy Sign Off (PDF)
- Permit Refund/Cancellation Form (PDF)
- Statement of Owner/Lesee (PDF)
- Typical Residential Deck Detail (PDF)
- Telecomm Checklist (PDF)
- Revision Form (PDF)
- Pool Fence Acknowledgement Form (PDF)
- Demolition Permit - Site Inspection Form Detail
- Individual Lot Grading Plan Application Form (PDF)
How to Apply
OnlineSubmit applications online
Department of Building and Development
Licensed residential trade contractors and permit services only
- Submit residential trade permit applications with e-Permits
- Registration is required to use e-Permits. Contractors and permit services who have not registered for must register and have their account verified in order to submit permits. All residential trade contractors and permit services are strongly encouraged to submit trade permits via e-Permits.
- Applications must be complete, including required documentation, to be processed. Some applications contain multiple pages. Please fill out and submit all required pages along with plans as required.
- Fax and email copies are not accepted.
- A Statement of Owner/Lessee may be used In lieu of a licensed contractor for permit(s) that require a licensed contractor to be listed per State Code: TITLE 54.1-1111. More information is included in the Statement of Owner/Lessee form (PDF).
- The county accepts cash, check or credit cards (American Express, Visa, Mastercard or Discover).
- Most residential jobs require building plan review. Submit plans for review along with the application.
- Commercial jobs require plan review. Submit plans for review along with the application.
- One set of plans is needed for electrical, gas, mechanical and plumbing and may need to be stamped and sealed.
- One set of stamped and sealed plans along with calculations and cut sheets are needed for fire plan review.
Call us at 703-777-0220 to find out more about requirements for your submission or to speak to a plan reviewer. Plan reviewers are available 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.