Carpools are a simple and effective alternative to driving alone. In a carpool, two or more people who live and work near each other share rides. Loudoun County partners with Commuter Connections to offer free ridematching services that help interested commuters connect with others traveling to the same destination.
The benefits of carpooling include:
- Carpools are a simple and effective alternative to driving alone.
- Sharing rides lowers commuting expenses and the wear and tear on your vehicle.
- Ride-sharing lets you share the work of driving.
- Riding together decreases the amount of traffic on the road.
Programs and Incentives
Loudoun County residents and employees may register for the following programs and incentives provided in partnership with Commuter Connections, a regional network of transportation organizations. For more information, including how to sign-up, visit Commuting Programs and Incentives.
- Ridematching enables commuters to find other individuals who share similar commuting routes and work hours to join or form a carpool or vanpool.
- Guaranteed Ride Home supports commuters who use alternative transportation at least twice a week. Anyone who carpools, vanpools, uses public transportation, bikes or walks to work is eligible for up to six free rides home per year when emergencies, such as personal illness, a sick child or unscheduled overtime, arise.
- Pool Rewards provides cash payments of up to $130 over a 90-day period for those who start or join a new carpool.
- CarpoolNow is a real-time mobile app for ridematching. Similar to ridehailing services (such as Uber or Lyft), except the driver is commuting to and from work and the passenger rides at no cost. Drivers receive a $10 incentive per trip, up to $600 per year.
- IncenTrip is a mobile app offering eco-points for fuel-efficient driving, transit trips, carpool trips, bicycle trips and other environmentally-friendly travel. Eco-points may be traded in for gift cards and other prizes.
- Flextime Rewards provides incentive payments to those who delay traveling during peak congestion periods in designated corridors in the region. Participants receive real-time notifications and are rewarded up to $8 per trip for delaying their departure.
For personalized trip planning or help with other transportation questions, please call 703-771-5665 or email us.