Agricultural & Forestal Districts
The Loudoun County Agricultural and Forestal District (AFD) Program:
- Conserves, protects and encourages the development and improvement of agricultural and forestal lands
- Values natural and ecological resources
- Protects and enhances agricultural and forestal land as an economic and environmental resource
- Lower taxes
- Protect productive farm, forest and other open space lands
- Virginia Code §15.2-4305 defines the standards for considering parcels for inclusion in the AFD program
- Eligibility for enrollment in an agricultural and forestal district
Creating A New Agricultural District
- Proposed AFDs must meet the criteria provided by Virginia Code §15.2-4305
- Completed application submitted by November 1 of each year
- Create a new AFD application (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Interim addition application (PDF) Opens a New Window.
Renewing Agricultural District
- Agricultural and Forestal District Renewal Process (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Renewal Application for an Agricultural and Forestal District (PDF) Opens a New Window.
Withdrawing From Ag District
- Early Withdrawal (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Review and Renewal Withdrawal (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Death of a Property Owner (PDF) Opens a New Window.
Agricultural & Forestal District Ordinances
- Agricultural and Forestal District Ordinances of Loudoun County
- New and Amended (Not Yet Codified) Loudoun County Ordinances (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Brochure (PDF)
- Chapter 1226, Agricultural and Forestal Districts, of the Codified Ordinances of Loudoun County
- FAQS (PDF)
- Loudoun Soil and Water Conservation District
- Virginia Code Section 15.2-4300
- Virginia Department of Forestry
Since the establishment of the Loudoun County Agricultural and Forestal District Program in 1979, over 43,000 acres have been enrolled within 23 Agricultural and Forestal Districts (AFDs) located throughout the county.
The information provided by this webpage is not intended to serve as, nor provide, legal advice, in regard to the Loudoun County Agricultural and Forestal District Program.
For more information, email the Department of Planning and Zoning or call 703-777-0246.