- Departments & Offices
- Human Resources
- Current Employees
- Human Resources Forms
- Family & Medical Leave (FMLA)
Family & Medical Leave (FMLA)
The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) provides up to 12 work weeks of unpaid, job and benefits protected leave to eligible employees for specified family and medical reasons.
Reasons for Taking Leave
- To care for your child after birth or placement for adoption or foster care
- To care for your spouse, son, daughter or parent who has a serious health condition
- For a serious health condition that makes you unable to perform your job
- For military families in situations of qualifying exigency to be with an employee's spouse, parent or child if said person is an active service member or has an impending call to active duty in support of a contingency operation
- For the care of an injured service member if the service member is the employee's spouse, child, parent, or next of kin.
Advance Notice & Medical Certification
You must provide:
- 30-days advance notice when the leave is foreseeable
- Medical certification to support a request for leave because of a serious health condition, except for birth of a child/adoption
- A return-to-work certification if leave is for your own serious health condition
Job Benefits & Protection
For the duration of FMLA leave, your health coverage will be continued on the same terms as if you were working. You are responsible for your portion of the cost. Upon your return from approved leave, employees will be restored to their original position or an equivalent position with equivalent pay, benefits and other employment terms. The use of FMLA leave cannot result in the loss of any employment benefit that accrued prior to the start of an employee's leave.
Paid Family Leave
Paid Family Leave (PFL) is a separate county leave benefit that runs concurrently with FMLA. The maximum amount of PFL provided in a 12 month period is six weeks. PFL may be requested separately by contacting FMLASource at 877-GO2-FMLA 877-462-3652 or by emailing with the leave request number in the subject line.
The Family and Medical Leave Act is administered by FMLASource. To initiate a claim or inquire about an existing claim, visit the FMLA website or call 877-GO2-FMLA (877-462-3652).