COVID-19 Update Regarding Inspections
Effective March 24, 2020, all inspections inside occupied residential structures, including leased residential properties, will be completed without entering the structure and by using video-telephony, video or photographs which show that work is code compliant.
For inspections within occupied residential structures:
- The assigned inspector will arrive at the site and offer the opportunity for the owner or contractor to take video or photos of the work. If the homeowner has an iPhone, the inspector will ask the homeowner to show the work via Facetime. Otherwise, he or she will ask the homeowner to email or text the video or photographs to the on site inspector.
- The inspector will view the video and photographs while on site. The inspector will determine if the inspection can be approved based on the evidence provided. Additional pictures may be requested if deemed necessary.
- If the inspector cannot determine if the work is code compliant, he or she will offer the opportunity to use a third party inspector or to conduct the inspection at a later date.
The following are not eligible for virtual inspection:
- Installation or alteration of gas piping
- Installation or alteration of flues
- Decks (video or photographic evidence of hardware connections inside the house is acceptable)
- Residential new construction
- Commercial construction
If you have any questions about the virtual inspection procedure or general inspection questions, please contact:
- Plumbing and Gas - Mark Grimmell at 703-771-5765
- Electrical - Mark MacDowell at 703-771-5050
- Fire - J.D. Mitchell at 703-771-5688
- Mechanical - Terry Martin at 703-771-5032
- Building and General Inspection Questions or Inquiries- Raymond Rinaldi at 703-771-5449
Schedule inspections through the Web Automated Inspection Request System (WAIRS) for the following permit types:
- WAIRS may also be used to cancel inspections and obtain inspection results. Inspections may be scheduled for the following work day or for a future date, but may not be scheduled for weekend or county holidays. The cut-off time for scheduling/requesting inspections for the following workday is 12 midnight.
- Inspections are completed between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Re-inspection fees may be charged when inspections are performed for work not ready for inspection.
- It is strongly recommended you keep your permit number(s) in a secure location.
- Only those authorized to schedule inspections for the job should have access to the permit number(s).
- For inquiries about the building code, building plan review and building inspections, contact the Building Code Enforcement / Inspections Division at 703-777-0220.
- Inspectors may be reached in the office from 8 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. and from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.