- Before beginning residential or commercial construction in Loudoun County, you must obtain permits from the appropriate county agencies and, if applicable, the appropriate agencies of the incorporated towns.
- Most of the permits listed here are issued through the Loudoun County Department of Building and Development.
- The county only accepts Affidavit of Owner forms that have been notarized.
- For more information about building permits, contact the Department of Building and Development at 703-777-0220 (V/TTY).
Permits for Residential Construction
- Building Permit: Three sets of plans are required. Plans shall include a foundation plan, floor framing plan, roof framing plan, wall sections, floor plans, and elevations. Please note: If your property is served by a private well and septic system, four sets of plans are needed.
- Electrical Permit
- Gas Permit
- Grading Permit: If disturbing 5,000 square feet or more; may be required for properties in the Mountainside Development Overlay District or properties that have steep slopes, as determined by the Office of Mapping and Geographic Information.
- Health Permit: If property is served by well or septic
- Mechanical Permit
- Occupancy Permit: New construction only
- Plumbing Permit
- Zoning Permit
Permits for Commercial Construction
- Building Permit: Three sets of architectural drawings and two copies of the site plan for new construction or additions
- Electrical Permit: Submit one set of plans with completed application.
- Fire Suppression Permit: Submit three sets of plans with completed application.
- Gas Permit: Submit one set of plans with completed application.
- Grading Permit: If disturbing 5,000 square feet or more
- Health Permit: Food Service Facilities and/or property served by private well / septic.
- Mechanical Permit: Submit one set of plans with completed application.
- Occupancy Permit: New construction, additions, and tenant fit-ups
- Plumbing Permit: Submit one set of plans with completed application.
- Soils Report: Two copies of a Type II Geotechnical Report for new construction
- Zoning Permit
Building, electrical, fire suppression, gas, plumbing and mechanical work each requires separate applications and permits. These permits will not be issued from the application and architectural plans submitted for a Building Permit. Contractors must have a valid Virginia State Contractors License and Loudoun County Business License.